We are addressing Evolutionary questions
(see Research Interests) using the green algal group
(see the Volvocales Information Project) as a model-system
- Irina Chan is awarded an NSERC USRA for the summer of 2016 to explore cancer's evolutionary vulnerabilities
- Alex May joins the lab as an Exchange MSc Student (February - August) from the Free University of Amsterdam
- Irina Chan joins the lab as a Work-Study Student
- Aleatha is awarded an EDEN Research Exchange Gant for a 3-month visit in the laboratory of Dr. Brad Olson at Kansas State University
- Jennifer Earle joins the lab as a Work-Study student
- Aleatha Lee is accepted as a MSc student in our lab
- Linna Meng will join our lab this summer as an NSERC USRA
- Matheus Lima will join our lab this summer as an international exchange student (from Brazil), for a 3-month internship
- Amal Alahmadi joins the lab as a Volunteer undergraduate assistant
April 5, 2012
- Aleatha Lee continues her Research Assistant position (through the Work-Study Program) for another year
March 30, 2012
- Jassy Meng successfully defends her Honours Thesis on Testing Theories of Aging in Volvox
- Stepahn Koenig successfully presents his PhD research seminar on the Evolution of Cell Differentiation in Volvox
- Aleatha Lee joins the lab as a Research Assistant (Work-Study Program)
- Jassy Meng and Joshua Clowater join the lab as Honours students
|National Center for Genome Resources (USA) and the
Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation Marine Microbiology Initiative:
Transcriptome sequencing of marine eukaryotic algae (Co-PI;
with David R. Smith, UBC, Canada) |
|A new gls/regA
- selected by
Faculty of 1000
Our paper on the paradigm of altruistic suicide is
Nedelcu AM, Driscoll WW, Durand PM, Herron M, and Rashidi E. 2010.
On the paradigm of altruistic suicide in the
unicellular world. Evolution
- featured in
This week in Science;
Science news of the week;
2009. Environmentally-induced responses co-opted for reproductive altruism.
Nedelcu AM, A Blakney and K Logue. 2009.
Functional replacement of a primary metabolic pathway via multiple independent
eukaryote-to-eukaryote gene transfers and selective retention.
Emma Logan was accepted to Medical School at Dal -
Parth Thakkar will join the lab as a MSc student,
starting September 2009
Nedelcu AM. 2009.
Comparative genomics of phylogenetically diverse
unicellular eukaryotes provide new insights into the genetic basis for
the evolution of the programmed cell death machinery. J. Molecular Evolution 68: 256-268.
Nedelcu AM, I Miles, K Karol, A Fagir.
2008. Adaptive eukaryote-to eukaryote gene transfer: Stress-related genes of
algal origin in the closest unicellular relatives of animals. J. of
The Volvocales Information Project has a new look - click
Our paper on
Adaptive eukaryote-to eukaryote gene transfer (Nedelcu AM, I Miles, K
Karol, A Fagir) is in press (J Evol Biology)