|Home | About NBMHP | Provincial Sites | Books | Links | Contact|
Village of Burton
Named for Brigadier Ralph Burton, who served at the capture of Louisbourg in 1758 and of the City of Québec in 1759. He was then military governor of Trois-Rivières District from 1760 -1762. For his services in the Seven Years War, he received a land grant in this area.
A replica of Fort Hughes, a American Revolutionary War blockhouse, stand near its original location beside the Oromocto River. The original fort had been built in 1780 and garrisoned until the end of the war by a Loyalist regiment called the Royal Fencible Americans. Because of this connection, the town crest of Oromocto contains two soldiers from the Fencibles.
Blockhouse and Cemetery
Soon after the War of 1812 began, blockhouses were
built at Fredericton Junction (Hartt's Mills) and Pomeroy to guard the
Oromocto River portage route between the St. John River and the Maguadavic
River. This portage formed part of a longer route between Northern Maine
and central New Brunswick and was thought to be a potential American
invasion route. Captain Jabez West, a member of Colonel John Allan's
invasion force, used this route to escape to Machias, Maine from advancing
British forces in July of 1777.
New Brunswick Internment Camp Museum and Site
In 1950 Canada’s peacetime army increased to more than divisional size. No training area in eastern Canada had sufficient room for such a force to exercise and maneuver. This prompted the search for a location near an all-weather port, with terrain suitable for all types of training, in a temperate climate and where there was minimum disturbance to the local civilian population. After an extensive search, the federal government announced in July 1952 that the largest military training base in Canada encompassing 1,106 square kilometers would be established between the villages of Upper Gagetown and Westfield in New Brunswick. The land expropriated in 1953 resulted in the removal of 750 families with a total of 3,000 residents, and the destruction of 20 communities. The first large scale exercise was held at Camp Gagetown in the summer of 1954 when the 3rd Canadian Infantry Brigade trained there for six weeks. During the summer of 1955, the 1st Canadian Division carried out a complete formation exercise in the new camp.
In November 1969, the Commander of the Army directed the disbandment of 3 Brigade and the formation of the Combat Training Centre in Gagetown, by moving and combining the Infantry and Armour Schools at Camp Borden, Ontario, and the Field Artillery School at Shilo, Manitoba. Since then, Canadian Forces Base Gagetown has been expanded to include the Tactics School, the Air Defence School and the School of Military Engineering.
Base Gagetown Military Museum
Located on the Base, it has an excellent displays of weapons, uniforms, equipment and memorabilia from the 1800s, the South African War, First & Second World Wars, the Korean Conflict and United Nations Missions. It also features military vehicles on display outdoors. See website: http://www.museumgagetown.ca/
The Canadian Military
The focus of this museum is on the contribution of the Military Engineers to the development of Canada in times of peace and crisis. The building is named in honour of Captain Norman Mitchell, won a Victoria Cross in World War One. The museum is busy preparing for the Corps Centennial celebrations in 2003. See website: http://www.cmemuseum.ca
CANLOAN - Brig
Milton F. Gregg VC Memorial
By late 1944 the British Army was suffering a serious shortage of younger infantry officers. Since the Canadian Army had a surplus, an agreement, known as CANLOAN, was made whereby trained Canadian officers could volunteer to serve in British units. A total of 673 officers participated in the programme, of which 465 became casualties. Brig MF Gregg was responsible for the training and final selection of the CANLOAN officers prior to embarkation. The CANLOAN Association erected this memorial commemorating Brig Gregg's association with the group and dedicated to their fallen comrades. Mrs Erica Gregg, widow of the Brigadier, unveiled the memorial. (See Fendick, R.F. "A CANLOAN Officer".)
Crash Site of an Air OP Otter of the RCAF 401 Squadron
Top of page