|Home | About NBMHP | Provincial Sites | Books | Links | Contact|
from Fort Cumberland
In September 1776, a British outpost was established on Shepody Bay to prevent contact with the Rebels in Machias, Maine and desertion from the garrison at Fort Cumberland. It consisted of 15 soldiers from the Royal Fencible Americans under command of Lieutenant John Walker, a Loyalist from Worcester, Massachusetts. On 29 October 1776, as a prelude to their assault on Fort Cumberland, the Rebel invading force under Jonathon Eddy captured the Shepody Outpost, killing one Fencible and wounding Lieutenant Walker.
Battle of Petitcodiac
on 4 September 1755
After the capture of Fort Beausejour during the Seven Years War, and in an attempt to gain control over the region, the British sent a punitive expedition consisting of two companies of British colonial troops into the Petitcodiac River Valley to destroy the Acadian settlements located there. While the main body finished their operation on the eastern bank, a detachment was despatched to the western bank. When the detachment under Major Frye approached a small Acadian settlement located near where Hillsborough now stands, it encountered a French forces under command of Captain Charles Deschamps de Boishebert and was driven off with heavy losses. The site is marked by a National Historic Sites and Monument plaque.
The Village of Alma, along with another in the Province of Quebec, is named for a battle of the Crimean War. The objective of the British and French allies in this war was to destroy the great Russian naval port of Sebastopol in Crimea on the Black Sea. On their march to Sebastopol the Allies had to cross the Alma River. On the heights above the river the Russians barred the way with a strong force under command of Prince Menshikoff. In a hotly contested battle fought on 20 September 1854, the Russian were cleared away at a cost of 2,000 British, 1,600 French and 5,500 Russian casualties. This victory received great acclaim within the British Empire.
First World War Guns
On display along the highway at the museum entrance are two artillery guns. On the right is a British field gun manufactured in 1905, emblazoned with the crest of King Edward VII. On the left is a German field gun manufactured by Krupp in 1917 with the identifying number 590. A plaque on this gun proclaims it was capture by New Brunswick’s 26th Battalion and was “won by citizens of Albert County N.B. in the victory loan competition of 1919.”Top of page