University of New BrunswickGeodesy and Geomatics Engineering

GGE Home

What is
Geodesy and Geomatics?
Testimonials FAQ Admission

FAQs about GGE Undergraduate Programs

What programs in Geomatics does GGE offer?

We have two degree programs:

Transferring from one degree to the other is possible.

If I decide to take Engineering I my first year, can I easily switch into GGE for my second year?

The course sequence for first year engineering students is fairly similar for all disciplines of engineering, with the exception of usually one first year discipline specific course. For GGE, first year students have to take GGE 1001, which is a basic introductory course to geomatics engineering. However, first year geological and civil engineering students also have to take GGE 1001 in their degree. If Engineering I students do not take GGE1001 in their first year, it can easily be done in their second year of engineering, with minimal effects on the sequencing of their course schedule.

What is a Professional Land Surveyor?

Land surveyors are the people who helped to establish French and British settlements throughout Canada by locating the grants of land from the government on the ground and then mapping these land parcels. Today they still create boundaries for subdivisions and natural resource industries, and they also retrace (find) the older boundaries nearly every time someone buys a new house to ensure that there are no encroachments by neighbours on the land being purchased. Under legislation private and government professional land surveyors act as public officers, ensuring that people with appropriate education and experience maintain the boundaries and parcel information in every jurisdiction.

What is the difference between a Professional Land Surveyor and a Professional Engineer? Can I be both?

There are two different self-regulating associations (such as medicine and law) which our graduates can apply to for membership after completing educational and experience requirements. Many of our graduates are members of both associations. Students who complete our degrees with appropriate courses will fulfill the educational requirements for becoming a professional engineer and/or professional land surveyor.

How long does it take to complete a degree?

The answer depends on your academic background.

What is the difference between the Bachelor of Science in Engineering (Geomatics Engineering) and the Bachelor of Geomatics?

The two degrees share the same courses. The difference is that the BScE degree includes courses required for becoming a professional engineer. With completion of the Cadastral Surveying Option, either degree can lead to becoming a professional land surveyor.

If you think you are interested in the BScE degree then it is best to take the first year engineering courses at the beginning. If you start in the Bachelor of Geomatics and later decide to finish the engineering degree you may have to take first year engineering courses in your third and fourth years. Due to course scheduling, this may require an extra term.

Is the Bachelor in Geomatics accredited by CBEPS?

Yes, with completion of the Cadastral Surveying Option, either degree is accredited by CBEPS (Canadian Board of Examiners for Professional Surveyors).

What are the admission requirements?

The admission requirements for the BScE in Geomatics Engineering are the same as the requirements administered by UNB for all engineering programs. This information can be found on UNB's website under Admission Requirements. For the Bachelor of Geomatics degree, admission has the same requirements, except for not requiring grade 12 chemistry; however, each application will be assessed on its own merits. All students are encouraged to apply if interested and any concerns about fulfilling admission requirements with be addressed by the Director of Undergraduate Studies in Geomatics.

What happens if I do not have Grade 12 Math, Physics, or Chemistry?

You should discuss your circumstance with the Director of Undergraduate Studies in Geomatics. It will not necessarily prevent you from taking our programs because you may be able to take remedial courses at UNB.

Why do I need Chemistry to study Geomatics?

You need to have Chemistry to satisfy the requirements for becoming a Professional Engineer. You do not require Chemistry in the Bachelor of Geomatics degree.

I come from a Technical College. Can I get some transfer credits?

Students coming from Technical Colleges usually get some transfer credits depending on the courses taken and the grades or marks achieved. For information on the transfer credits or more about the degree please contact our Director of Undergraduate Studies in Geomatics.

We have formal transfer credit agreements with the Centre of Geographic Sciences in Lawrencetown, NS, and with the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology in Edmonton, AB, and have long-standing relationships with the College of the North Atlantic in St. John's NL, and with the British Columbia Institute of Technology in Burnaby, BC. Many other post-secondary educational institutions (both technical colleges and universities) have been recognised.

Under what conditions can I get transfer credits if I transfer from another university or I am in another undergraduate degree program?

There are two decisions with an application: admission to a program and awarding of advanced credits. Admission can be decided usually with at least the high school transcript. Awarding advanced credits normally requires a complete transcript and sometimes detailed course information and can be done subsequent to acceptance into a program.

Advanced credits are awarded under certain conditions (equivalency of content and minimum grades or marks). The Director of Undergraduate Studies in Geomatics reviews all transcripts and applicants are informed by UNB Admissions of their credits.

Can I join the GGE program in January or just in September?

Programs can be started in either September (the FA term) or January (the WI term). However, this will likely affect the number of terms that will be required to complete the degree because some courses are only offered in the fall term or only in the winter term and the winter term courses may have fall term courses as prerequisites.

What is student life at GGE like?

There a few things that we like to stress about our programs, such as small class sizes (25 students), close interaction with the professors and lecturers, a family-like atmosphere, a very active student association (GUESS), and opportunities for co-op and international exchanges. Our Department is small, but it is world class in the field.

If you would like to have contact with some of our current students we can arrange this through e-mail. You can ask them some of the really important questions (e.g., what happens on the weekends?).

What is GUESS and how can I get involved with the student society?

The Geomatics Undergraduate Engineering Student Society (GUESS) is a student associated made up of five undergraduate geomatics engineering students. The positions on the committee are President, Vice-President, Events Coordinator, Treasurer and Sports Representative. GUESS organizes various events, including intramural sports, social events and the annual graduation dinner. All undergraduate students are invited to all GUESS events (with the acceptation of the graduation dinner) and all undergraduate students are encouraged to run for positions on the committee. Elections occur every December and terms on the committee are from January to December.

What are the employment opportunities when I graduate and are there summer jobs opportunities?

As a consequence of the reputation our department has, Canadian and international companies start recruiting our students in the fall term, either offering summer jobs or full time jobs for those close to graduating. We are proud to claim we have a 100% employment rate, and it is common for our graduates to have two or three job offers. Summer job opportunities are also something positive as students can get not only experience over the summer but also enough money to help covering their expenses during the academic year. Co-op work terms also help students fund their education.

What are the salaries like?

The salaries will differ depending on the experience, the location, the area of geomatics the employment entails and of course if the employment is for the summer (i.e. student employment) or full time employment for graduates. The facility of Geomatics Engineering at UNB has 100 percent employment rate because the demand for geomatics professionals is very high, which generally corresponds to wages for both summer students and full time graduates.

Is there a co-op program?

Yes. GGE students can participate in a co-op program, which is coordinated by the Faculty of Engineering. For more information, please visit

What scholarships are available for students studying GGE?

There are numerous scholarships available for geomatics engineering students. Besides specific scholarships that are offered to all students at UNB, other scholarships are available for solely students studying geomatics. A complete list of scholarships is available here.