In 1992, the Department developed a mission statement to delineate our raison d'être. Our mission includes:
- Maintaining world class undergraduate and graduate training of highly skilled engineers capable of meeting regional, national, and international needs.
- Ensuring that our students experience growth of the whole person, and that they are educated to operate effectively and professionally within Canadian and international social environments.
- Maintaining international leadership in selected research areas within our discipline.
- Developing innovations within our discipline to meet the needs of regional and national private sector and government clients, and transferring these innovations to such clients.
- Continuing to take an international leadership role in the ongoing redefinition of the mission of our profession, and in specifying the body of knowledge required to fulfil that mission.
- Cooperating internationally in teaching and research to the level permitted by our resources.